Mother's Day and other things

My first Mother's Day as a mom of 3, and as an adoptive mama.  It came on the heels of a rough evening, that left me feeling very inadequate to raise this little guy entrusted to me.  Some days I just don't know what to do with him.  I mean, I don't know how to reach him, how to communicate with him, what to realistically expect of him, what he needs.  But my hubby prayed with me and said some encouraging things.  And then I started reading a book called Parenting from the Overflow, which also had some encouraging things to say.  And this morning the message was about Jehoshaphat, and about relying on God when we don't know what to do and don't even have the ability to do it if we did know.  Then another adoptive mom gave me some encouragement as well, and it was lovely.  At the beginning of service was baby dedication.  Except that today, instead of babies, there were two very special little boys, both adopted this year.  Our James, and his little buddy Lorvens.  It was so sweet to have them dedicated together, for a few reasons.  In November, on Orphan Sunday, our church prayer for us and for Lorvens' family together, putting both boys' pictures on the screen together.  And today, here they are, together in person.  Such a testimony of God's faithfulness, and hopefully an inspiration to families who may be on the fence about adopting.  Plus, these little guys really are buddies.  Lorvens doesn't speak much English yet, so language isn't so much of an issue for them.  They just like to play together as little boys.  I hope they will grow and become true friends, as they share a bond that most kids can't understand. 
In other news, I'm fairly sure James' tooth is infected, the one that is coming out on Thursday.  Hopefully we can get him an antibiotic or something to make it to Thursday.  I don't know if getting him in any earlier is a possibility, or if they can even operate if there's infection.  So I'll be calling to oral surgeon first thing tomorrow.
And lastly, I have my first book review to give you.  I recently signed up to be a book reviewer for Bethany Publishing.  I don't get paid or anything, but I get free books, and I get to give my opinion on them.  So the first book I received is called These Are the Days of Elijah by R.T. Kendall.  And I must say, I was very disappointed by my first choice of books.  The book was a study on the life of Elijah, but it wasn't anything extremely insightful or life-changing.  It was thorough in it's exposition of the Scriptures, but the writing was weak, the illustrations were flat and left me wanting more details.  Several Christian cliches popped up, and the kindle version contained many typos which is a big issue for me.  Also, the author and I do not see eye to eye on some theological issues, but other readers might not find that to be the case.  Overall, if you don't know anything about Elijah, this might be a good read for you.  But if you have already studied this prophet to any extent, you should probably look for another book.  The good news is that now that I'm finally done with this book, I can move on to my next book by Jody Hedlund.  I thoroughly enjoyed the last book I read by her, so I'm confident that my next review will be a positive one.

Comments

Popular Posts