LOVE IS... (A Different Kind of Post)

This weekend we had some illness floating around our house - some sore throat, a fever, some runny noses.  So the kids and I stayed home from church today to rest before our jam packed week.  Since this week is Valentine's Day, I decided to revisit 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 for devotions.  The kids memorized it last year, probably around this time, but it's gotten a bit buried.  I know that I need to be more intentional about finding things to praise my children for, instead of always scolding correcting them.  So, after we finished devotions I had the idea to make a poster with the verse on it to hang in the house.  Then I got really inspired and made paper hearts with everyone's names on them.  When we catch someone showing love according the 1 Corinthians, that person's heart will get taped on the poster on the spot that's appropriate. 
Now, I had envisioned in my head how this poster would look.  But then Aedan wanted to help make it.  Then so did Liana.  And while the very big perfectionist in me wanted to say "no, I'll do it, you go play," I knew they would benefit more from helping than from a perfectly printed poster. 
Each child colored their own hearts with their name, even James.  And I discovered that he really can color!  He didn't do them all, but he did actually fully color a few of them.  And then, of course, he also wanted to cut them out after seeing the other two cut theirs.  He can actually make little snips, but I put my hand over his and helped him cut his hearts.
Then Aedan and Liana took turns writing phrases.  If you are a perfectionist too, you will appreciate how hard it was for me to let them do this!!
I also figured that while I was at it, I would make a file folder game out of the verse too, to help review it.  That I did myself :)
Here are the finished products.  I'll let you know if it works!


James colored his own hearts! 



Comments

Popular Posts